Re: Potato update-cd script

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 09:16:03AM +1000, jason andrade wrote:
>On Sun, 16 Dec 2001, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>
>> I've just found the time to generate some potato update CDs. The
>> changes in scansources and scanpackages in moving to use
>> apt-ftparchive broke the update-cd script; for now I'm using the last
>> working versions of those scripts from CVS.
>>
>> I'm generating images for these on cdimage.debian.org right now, but
>> not in a publically accessible place yet. Anybody interested in having
>> a look at them?

<sigh> cdimage is slow and overloaded - it's been running the
update-cd script for ~30 minutes now, when I can run it on my local
mirror in about 5 total.

>how big are these images and how many of them are there going to be ?
>will they be released for every architecture ?  i am trying to work out
>what space requirements are needed and/or where they end up being released.

At the moment locally I have the following:

-rw-r--r--    1 root     users    638830592 Dec 16 22:56  potato-update-1.raw
-rw-r--r--    1 root     users    575918080 Dec 16 22:57  potato-update-2.raw
-rw-r--r--    1 root     users    134555648 Dec 16 22:58  potato-update-3.raw

This is including non-free changes atm, but the script will also
ignore non-free if desired. The changes on these are all the updated
packages / sources since potato r0, split:

CD 1:  all / alpha / arm / i386
CD 2:  all / m68k / powerpc / sparc
CD 3:  source

>i assume you were also going to release this so mirrors could generate their
>own images (and then rsync against cdimage?)

Of course. The update-cd script has been in the debian-cd package for
quite a while now, and I've just updated it to work happily with
2.2r4. The only thing needed is a list of updated files from r0 to r4,
which I have generated from my local archive of .list files and I'll
happily pass on.

It would be nice to get these published, and to keep generating the
update CD images for future releases. Several of the people who've
bought CDs from me have asked for this kind of thing as a cheap way of
keeping up to date, so I wouldn't be surprised if other vendors have
been asked too.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                   stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk
"Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky,                 +------------------