Re: Debian DVDs

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 03:37:07PM +0300, Eray Ozkural wrote:

> I recall having suggested this before, but would not it be convenient to have
> the new woody release on bootable DVD-ROM as an alternative distribution
> method with the size of Debian sky-rocketing?
>
> When I read the /. piece about BSD distribution on DVD, I thought it would be
> a nifty way to go for us, too. Perhaps this was not feasible when potato was
> released (explaining why nobody really proposed to do it IIRC) but with
> DVD-ROM's being so widely used it should be now.

The problem is the mastering of DVD-R's. Generating a bootable UDF image is
not really trivial but solveable.  But how to master the DVD?  CD-R writer
are common but DVD-R writers are scarce and expensive.

But you are essentially right: if Debian were to offer a ready-to-master
image some reseller might be inclinded to order 1000 (which i  believe is the
minimum order) from a commercial mastering company.

Dominik
--
          A lovely thing to see:                   Kobayashi Issa
     through the paper window's holes               (1763-1828)