Re: base*.tgz is gone, and why it's gone

On 15 Jun 2001, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> There is no base tarball anymore.  The functionality has been
> superceeded by debootstrap (the package).

Hrm. This is midely annoying to say the least :<

The base tarball is *very* useful for NFS root booting other
architectures which I do alot, particularly when the NFS serving box is
not a debian box. It is very nice to be able to say 'fetch this tar,
unpack it, setup NFS and boot this kernel'.

I'm not sure how you can automate that process without haxoring the .debs
since they can't really have their post insts run. It would be nice if
there is possible solution, particularly if said solution could run on
non-Debian unix's..

Jason