Re: help!!! (Installing downloaded packages)

The quick answer: Don't use apt for those packages.  Use "dpkg -i *.deb"
in the directory with those packages.

The long answer:
apt-get is for use with archives of debian packages, where you want to
install a package, and want all of the other packages that it depends on
to be installed automatically.  As such, apt-get requires that
/etc/apt/sources.list contains valid URLs (either ftp: file: or http: or
any combination) that can be resolved so that a "Packages" and a "Release"
file can be found.  The Packages file contains a list of packages
available on the given archive, and that's what you are missing in you
local directory.  Generating it uses "dpkg --scanpackages" I think, but I
can't remember off the top of my head.

My question is why aren't you just using a apt-getable archive to install
your X windows environment?  That's a heck of a lot easier, and you don't
have to resolve the dependencies by hand.

Hold on, I just re-red your post... why are you giving us a windows
directory struction (linux doesn't use drive letters)?  Are the files
located on a windows partition?  If so, you're first going to have to
mount that partition under linux before you can even get to the files, and
the path certainly won't look like h:/...

So, please give us some details on where you're comming from.  Maybe the
non-comment lines from /etc/apt/sources.list would be usefull, and what
packages you want to install.