[oferk@oren.co.il: debian]

A user who didn't like the cdimage.d.o.

----- Forwarded message from Offer Kaye <oferk@oren.co.il> -----

Delivery-date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 08:42:13 +0100
From: "Offer Kaye" <oferk@oren.co.il>
To: "Baruch Even" <baruch@ev-en.org>
Cc: <debian-www@lists.debian.org>
Subject: debian
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 09:39:28 +0200

I tried looking in debian.org for the "testing" version to download- I
looked for over an hour before giving up- then I got smart, went to the
RedHat site, and within 1 minute and ~5 mouse clicks I got to the
explanation of what to download and to the download files themselves.
After that I understood I had to look for something called an iso cd image
file, but even then it took me another 5 minutes to find the files I wanted-
the "unofficial woody" release at
ftp://ftp.fsn.hu/pub/CDROM-Images/debian-unofficial/woody/ . And I still
don't know how to get from the cdimage site http://cdimage.debian.org/ to
the official CD images files- I tried answering the questions on the page,
but that just led me to a page (http://cdimage.debian.org/ch1211.html)
telling me I had to download something called the Pseudo-Image Kit. I
**don't want to** (and even if I wanted to, I have no way to) install some
program on my workstation at work, I just want to download the cd image
Sigh... i'm starting to understand why people say the installation of Debian
is difficult- if this is what I had to go through just to find the
installation files, what will I go through actually installing the OS?

Comments are welcome :-)

PS, the steps to find the iso files in the redhat site:
1. Type redhat.com in your browser URL bar and hit Enter.
2. Click on the word "DOWNLOAD" on the upper right hand corner of the page.
3. Click on the "Red Hat Linux 7.2" link in the center of the page.
4. Read the download instructions in the "How to download Red Hat Linux"
link. (http://www.redhat.com/download/howto_download.html)
5. From 3, Click on the "Download Now!" link.
6. Click on "iso". (ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.2/en/iso/)
7. Click on "i386". (ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.2/en/iso/i386/)

and you're there. Now why can't the Debian site be this simple !?!?

Offer Kaye
Analog Circuit Design Engineer
Oren Semiconductor
Tel: +972-4-9095555 ext. 1-309