Re: cvs commit to debian-cd/tools/boot/woody by jwest

On Saturday 17 November 2001 01:02, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Le Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 10:04:45PM -0800, Debian Boot CVS Master écrivait:
> > Repository: debian-cd/tools/boot/woody
<snip,snip>
> > first test of multiboot ElTorito image for cd1
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> can you provide a bit more information about this ? How is the choice
> supposed to happen and so on ?
>
> What are your first results ?

Raphael ,

There was some discussion a while back that we needed to
have our CD #1 support booting of multiple kernel flavors, as
does some other distributions.  As boot-floppies now has 6 different
'flavors' of rescue images, currently we put a copy of one on disk
one, another on disk 2....etc.

I did some testing a few months ago using the mkisofs option
using -eltorito-alt-boot and found out that many  bios's do not
support multiple boot images from a ElTorito multi-boot disks...BUT.
even if they even if they dont support the selection of the different
images, they will at least boot the first image....they just dont show
the user a selection to pick from.  Newer bios's may show the user
3 or more options....very hardware/bios dependant.

None the less, with the ability now to put all of the 6 cd's on to one
DVD disk, it brings up the issue again.   When one only has one DVD
disk, it would be nice if that one disk could present the various images
to boot from.....after-all they are all on the darn disk....its just a matter
of setting up the ElTorito boot blocks to allow the user to select one
at boot time  (if their hardware/bios supports it)

Aditionally I did NOT WANT TO CHANGE the default behavior of
debian-cd, where it will just write a single boot image on each CD,
so I set up the new option/switch called MULTIBOOT.   If one does
not set MULTIBOOT, debian-cd behaves just as before.  If you DO
set MULTIBOOT="yes" ,  Then the code turns on, and writes all 6
rescue kernel flavors on the FIRST DISK ONLY.  The remaining disks
get a single boot image as before.

I marked the CVS changelog as :
   * first test of multi-boot cdimage for i386 disk #1
    You must export MULTIBOOT="yes" in CONF.sh  to enable this feature. -jwest

and used the word "test" because this was my first attempt to include
the -eltorito-alt-boot  option for the i386.  Turns out I made a small
typo, and I have just uploaded a correction.

Currently with MULTIBOOT set,  The first disk boots, on all 4 pc's I have
here.  In the worst case, it will just load the first (the default) kernel,
In the best case, the bios will display a menu of the possible boot kernels.

I hope this helps explain my changes,  I will still like to test the
resultant multi-boot-images on additional hosts as I get the time.

Ciao,

(seattle, cold, raining ;-(
- --
Jim Westveer <jwest@netnw.com>
You are standing in a maze of twisty little passages,
that all look alike.                     XYZZY: Poof!
E-Mail: jwest@lcs.issaquah.wa.us      jwest@debian.org
work :  425-591-3002
pgp-key 0x36129171                    gpg-key 0x9823336C