Re: Rsync and incremental updates on top of Original CDs

Uh, sorry, I forgot about following up to this.

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 12:58:20AM +0100, J.A. Bezemer wrote:
> (Since positions and md5sums of individual files in the image are known, I
> could imagine some "jido-file check-all-files-in-this-image" tool ;-)

I was thinking of having jido-file do the MD5 check automatically for
each file as it is being written to the image. If the MD5 sum doesn't
match, the file will never be marked as copied-to-image.

[snip]
> > WRT this whole scheme, there's one further thing we need to think
> > about: Unlike the current pseudo-image-kit, it is assumed that all the
> > "puzzle pieces" that the CD image is assembled from are in fact
> > available.
[snip]
> The stable packages archive is not supposed to change in any way
> until a next revision is released. So there's only a small period of
> time that jidoing would be impossible (without rsync)

Ah, good.

[snip]
> Which reminds me: the doc/ directory on FTP is constantly changing.
> This isn't very much (3-4 MB), but it's replicated on many CDs. One
> option would be to include it literally in every template that needs
> it, but a separate .tgz would probably be wiser (just "download;
> untar; jido-file copy-matching" before anything else).

The template data is compressed, so just including doc/ there would be
OK. But it is up to you, really. One problem is that the jido
/download/ tool proper would have to have untar functionality
built-in.

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  CS student at the Technische  |  GPG key:
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  Universität München, Germany  |  888354F7
  ¯ ´` ¯