Re: Rsync and incremental updates on top of Original CDs

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 02:58:48PM +0100, J.A. Bezemer wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Richard Atterer wrote:
[snip]
> If I understand it correctly, you first want to get all needed files
> on some local filesystem, and assemble them to a real image later.
> This does seem a duplication of effort, since when "jido-file
> print-matching" knows an md5sum of some file, it also knows its
> place in the CD image and can easily copy it there directly
> (assuming jido-file is not a shell script ;-), as in:
>
>  <insert and mount CD>
>  find /cdrom -type f \
>  | jido-file copy-matching \
>      --files-from=- --template=potato.iso.template --output=potato.iso \
>      --already-done=potato.iso.already-done
>
> where already-done would contain md5sums of files that were already
> copied to the .iso earlier (something like your --cache).

True, something like that would be useful. I think you could actually
get away with appending to potato.iso the information regarding which
files have already been copied into the image, and remove that
"trailer" when you're finally done. (It might be wise to use a name
"potato.iso.tmp" and only rename it to "potato.iso" when finished.)

> Followed by either

[ a) jido-file print-missing, then fetch files that are output and
     jido-file copy-matching]
[ b) jido-net get-and-copy-missing
    which would do the getting and copying at once.]

I prefer a), because I want to draw a line between the jido-file tool,
whose main purpose it is to /generate/ the .template files (but which
is also capable of reassembling images as an add-on feature), and
jido, the "client program" with GUI, automatic mirror selection etc.,
which can only reassemble images from template+files+downloads, and
nothing else.

> I get the (maybe incorrect) impression that you think files can only
> be created linearly, but nothing is less true. Try this:

Yes, incorrect impression. I think I've heard of this "seek()" thing.
;-)

> >   Would it be OK for you to update the kit once
> > jido-file is in a working state?
>
> You mean to create a modified make-pseudo-image to get missing files
> to some local dir? That shouldn't be too hard for me ;-)

Yep. It is easy to add IMHO too, but easier for you because apparently
you are in a position to do proper tests, with a local Debian mirror
present.

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  CS student at the Technische  |  GPG key:
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  Universität München, Germany  |  888354F7
  ¯ ´` ¯