RE: mkisofs, cdrecord, 74min vs 80min CDROM media

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Allison, Jason A. wrote:

> > AFAIK mkisofs sorts the contents of each directory strictly
> > alphabetically,
> > diving into subdirectories according to their place in their parent, so
> > first
> > /a/a/a, then /a/a/b, /a/b, /a/c/a etc. up to /z/z/z.
> >
> > (And indeed, the farther from the center (i.e. at the end of the image)
> > the
> > more effect the "shaking" of the motor has.)
> 	[Allison, Jason A.]
>
> 	When I perform a:
> 	mkisofs -d -L -l -v -o /dist/party3rd.img ../party3rd
>
> 	The debug that is put out does not correspond to your statement on
> the directory being sorted alphabetically.  The output will say:
[...]

Hmm. I don't know how relevant this debug info is wrt the actual CD layout.
You can check the latter with:

isoinfo -i /dist/party3rd.img -R -l -f | grep -B 1 '^-' | grep -v '^--$' | \
( while read ThisFile; do read ThisInfoLine ; echo "$ThisInfoLine" \
["$ThisFile"]; done ) | tr ']' '[' | cut -d '[' -f 2,4 | sort | tr '[' ' '

This will print every file with its real start block (2048-byte blocks) in a
sorted list. Run in a sh-like shell. isoinfo comes with both cdrecord and
mkisofs IIRC. Build up the big pipe piece by piece to see how it works ;-)

Of course it might also be that the sorting is a "side effect" of the
kernel/libraries, and that it's different under Linux and DigitalUX.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer