Re: pool

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:

> Well, I am considering the possibility of using my work internet access
> to create a mirror, and then hooking my machine to the mirror in disk to
> transfer it to my potato system. My question is: What's the best way of
> mirroring from a windows machine, may be rsync provided in the
> pseudo-image kit for windows? But it seems to me that it will not
> function. Any ideas?

I think by now it would be possible to run an FTP mirror on a Windows machine,
NT4 preferred (<=98,NT3 and >=2K probably would work too, but less stable).
For that, you would need a reasonably complete Cygwin installation, see
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/, and a "stock" rsync compiled under cygwin.
The rsync as shipped with the Pseudo-Image Kit only works for single files,
but the patch causing that is only necessary on W95. Then it would probably be
possible to use the anonymous rsync mirroring script from
http://www.debian.org/mirror/ftpmirror. But be sure to set CYGWIN=binmode from
the DOS prompt before starting anything from Cygwin, or else you'll get
ASCII-mode mirroring.

If you have some working setup, I suppose mirrors@debian.org would be very
interested to hear how you've done it ;-)

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer