Re: correct-i386-2 proved useless.

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Luca Santarelli wrote:

> I am a debian 2.2r0 would be user (Win98SE user), and I'm trying to make my
> own official debian CD images. With binary-i386-1_NONUS.iso it all worked
> fine. I have problems with binary-i386-2.iso
> I downloaded it once with the pseudo-image kit from
> ftp.flashnet.it/pub/ftp.debian.org and ftp3.linux.it and then tryed using
> the rsync on ftp.at.debian.org
> When the process reached 99% (4096 bytes less than 100%) it stopped saying
> "Wrong file size. File changed during transfer?" or something very similar
> to it.
> I tried rsync-ing again, and got the same result. I then changed rsync
> server (main german one), but it didn't change the result. Finally I went
> to ftp.debian.org and resync-ed with it. No change: same "wrong file size"
> at the same 99%.

(Interesting. When it says "Wrong _checksum_. File changed during transfer?"
the error message usually is wrong, but your "Wrong size" seems to be
truthful.)

> I thought something went wrong, so I deleted the pseudo-image (with a lot
> of sadness) and started it all from scratch (on my 64K single ISDN line).
> Rsync-ed then with ftp.debian.org and got the same result of before.
> I then wondered if this was the error noted on lastmin.html regarding the
> "one bit" problem of one package... even if it wasn't a md5sum error, but a
> "wrong file size" error of 4096 bytes. Just to try I applied the
> correct-i386-2 and I got "Corrected" message.

Which means that your image was at least large enough that the to-be-corrected
bit/byte was present.

> Then I md5sum-ed it and... got the _same_ sum I had _before_ applying the

Uh? The md5sum is believed to have the property that if one bit changes in the
file, about half the bits in the md5sum change... You could try correct-i386-2
a second time; it should then say "already corrected[...]" which would mean
the offending bit really was corrected the first time.

> Know that I have free space on my HD to make the CD image, so it is not a
> problem of not enough space to write the image (as I thought yesterday
> night thinking of this problem :-)).

Before starting rsync (with the pseudo-image/wrongly-rsynced-image already
present!), you should have at least 650 MB free disk space, since rsync will
build a second, new copy of the image, while the old copy is still present.

> I hope these data will help you help me solve this problem... hoping not to
> have to download it from scratch again...

Try rsyncing again, but now with a larger block-size, like 20000 or even
123456. This solves most problems in most cases.

> I have a final question, regarding the FAQ. It says I only need the first
> binary CD, since the other two are optional. Well, the dselect-beginner
> guide says that I should make a multi_cd installation and avoid the single
> cd installation. Could you explain me this mismatch, please? :-)

Does the dselect doc _still_ say that?! Disregard that completely; during the
install you'll be prompted to scan one or more CDs; after install you can
follow procedures outlined in the CD's top-level README.txt/html.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer