Re: rsyncing images

> I just thought of a different strategy for your next pseudo-image. You can
> split(1) the .list file in some 10 parts, and make (partial) pseudo-images for
> each of them.

I split it into 4 parts... got the first three "pseudo" parts, but
cannot d/l the last part. The script doesn't work for http, btw, I get
an error message related to "-ne" - maybe someone should check if they
get this error as well? I tried http when ftp just wouldn't successfully
d/l anything. Then ran into this error. Now I'm using

$ for i in ../binary-i386-1d.list ; do
    wget ftp://archive.sun.ac.za/debian$i
  done

and it is working very well. Takes time, but at least it works. The fact
that the first three lists worked nearly 100% (I had to run it 3 times
per list on average, to get the last 15 or so packages in each list of
350) makes me think it is a "temporary" problem.

> Then cat them together (+ the already-rsynced part); if things
> go wrong again, you'll know approximately which part is corrupt and can
> rebuild only that one.

With the four parts: if something goes wrong, I'll subdivide the part in
which it did. Thanks for the idea.

> and check if the md5sum matches with the Packages file.

That way knowing if the first package was d/led properly... I see.

> If not, try to compare them at the byte level by od'ing both versions.

I suppose `cmp` should do the trick? Possibly even "diff"?

Thanks,
Hugo van der Merwe