Re: Strange rsync issue

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Mattias Wadenstein wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Aigars Mahinovs wrote:
>
> [snip, commands seem correct]
> > This took more than 12 hours and the progress indicator never came
> > over 2% done.
>
> > Can someone please tell me what could be the bottleneck and why the second
> > rsync took longer that the first one.
>
> If you never got to the full 100% (or perhaps 99%), it is a good
> posibility that you never synced the entire image.

Correct, and if rsync stops (or is killed) without the transfer being
complete, it deletes its tempfile and essentially leaves everything unchanged.
So the big file you saw after rsyncing only 2% was still your pseudo-image.
(Note that this is the intentional behaviour; otherwise you would have had
only 2%=13MB left, and would have had to re-create the pseudo-image.)

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer