Re: TC3 CD#1 images are different sizes on ftp.d.o and cdimage.d.o

Wichert Akkerman <wichert@cistron.nl> writes:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> Previously Philip Hands wrote:
> > The reason for this split is that ftp.d.o is a lot quicker than
> > cdimage.d.o so can produce a full range of CDs in the time it takes
> > cdimage to start producing the first, so these images filled a need
> > while people were waiting for cdimage.d.o to do it's thing.
>
> We'll probably want to produce a single set for the final release
> though.

I agree.

I've been thinking about ways to speed things up, but the possibility
of saving an hour or two only to find out that I've generated a load
of rubbish has made me come to the conclusion that it's best to leave
well alone.

So, for the release, it looks like the best bet will be for me to
rsync my mirror, turn off all the anon. services to make sure there's
no external load slowing things down, hopefully generate the images a
little quicker as a result, and then let a few mirrors on via rsync
before opening the floodgates to the public.

The rsyncs should be quick, assuming that the images we have now are
almost exactly what we're going to release.

I may well have more bandwidth to play with by then (like, I might be
on a 100mbit lan rather than 10), but I think the bottlenecks are
mostly CPU checksumming stuff on both the build and the rsync
downloads, so am not sure how much difference that will make.

Cheers, Phil.