Re: Wish for enhancement: Extending .list with size and possibly md5sum

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Otto Wyss wrote:

> Since I can't use Rsync to download, I have to use ftp which might not
> relyable download. While I can check for correctness of any debian
> packages, it's not possible for ordinary files (i.e. disk images). If
> the .list files contains besides the filename the size and possibly the
> md5sum as well, this check could simply be implemented into the
> make-pseudo-image script.

I don't know exactly what you mean, but here are some possible answers:

1. Packages downloaded by make-pseudo-image may have errors; rsync will
   correct them just fine. (rsync will just be a little less efficient,
   that's all -- but still more efficient than re-downloading the package!)

2. .deb packages already have md5sums&sizes, see the Packages(.gz) files,
   e.g. http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/slink/main/binary-i386/Packages
   (you can write a little script to combine Filename:, Size:, and MD5sum:
   fields)

3. The CD images have md5sums, see http://cdimage.debian.org/faq.html, 8th Q.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer