Re: Attempted upgrade from 1.3.1

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Philip Charles wrote:

> Ran into a rebooting problem with my upgraded 1.3.1 system.  I then
> discovered that "update-modules --force" had to be run before rebooting.

That's a good point.

> Another problem emerged, the line that mounts the cdrom in fstab needs to
> be "/dev/hdc /cdrom iso9660 ro,noauto,usr,unhide"  or some-such otherwise
> the mounting of the cdroms fails halfway through the installation.

What exactly does make it _fail_?

AFAIK: "iso9660" could be "auto" as well (for those who burn ext2 CDs ;-)
       "ro" is implied by the kernel
       "noauto,user" is generally a bad idea for server systems
       "unhide" =?? never used it.

> I got an upgrade working nicely with a new stock kernel installed as the
> final step.  I plan to put all the pieces together and modify my CD
> upgrade cook-book tomorrow.
>
> tetex failed to upgrade.  My no. 2 system boots 1.3.1 sloooooowly.

Tetex is fairly complex, so I'm not very surprised. However this is not really
"fatal", so a manual upgrade at a later time is the way to go. Should be
documented.

Thanks again for the information,

  Anne Bezemer