Re: Strange rsync issue

On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, J.A. Bezemer wrote:

> > Is there a way I can get rsync temp file and what is in the file-to-rsync.
>
> The rsync temp file is called something like .binary-i386-1.12345 in the same
> dir, but I think Windows won't allow you to read it while rsync is still
> running. From a second DOS box, you could try to cd to that directory, and use
> "cp .binary-i386-1.12345 rsync-tempfile" to get a readable copy of it. Or
> perhaps forcing the rsync's DOS box close may result in rsync not deleting its
> tempfile.

assuming you have enough disk space, take a copy of the original file you
want to rsync against (otherwise you'll lose it) and then call rsync
using --partial.  it will then `move' its tempfile over the file it was
rsyncing across if it breaks in the middle.

note - if you only copy 5M and the connection breaks, rsync will then
happily copy over a 5M temp file over the 650M original.. which is why
it's a really good idea to either have a copy or have permissions to
make sure it can't delete the original.

regards,

-jason