Re: Business of mirrors

Kyle Moore <kmoore@trustamerica.com> writes:

> Can anyone point me to some info on the business end of setting up a
> mirror? How does one pay for the bandwidth and the hardware? Do most
> Debian mirrors only mirror that? I would like to put up a mirror that
> mostly does Debian but also provides some other services like cddb. I
> have the technical knowledge but don't know how to go about the rest.
> Any comments are appreciated.

Generally, we get the bandwidth donated on way or another.

I'm not sure there is a business model that would allow one to afford
the bandwidth.

open.hands.com (the machine that is also cdimage.debian.org) is
currently generating about 7Mbit/s.  If I had to pay for that, it
would probably cost me as much as I paid for the hardware about once
every five minutes.

Cheers, Phil.