Re: Everyone please compile a static apt & dpkg ;-)

J.A. Bezemer wrote:
> > > I need some help from registered Debian developers[*] to compile static
> > > versions of apt and dpkg (potato/i386), to facilitate upgrades. The more
> > > static versions, the better!
> > > (Well, I just need them soon, so don't discuss first, Just Do It ;-)
> >
> > And the point of this exercise is .... ?
>
> Upgrading from <=2.0 and/or with a CD set. Apt/dpkg as included in 2.1r4 can't
> handle CD sets with dist-upgrade. Several people have reported static versions
> work great. I already have compiled static versions myself, but ftpmaster
> won't install those because they're not signed by a registered developer
> (which I'm not yet...)

Sure, I can understand why a static apt and/or dpkg may be necessary. I
mean, we had them for slink and earlier releases as well; this is not a
new problem or a new idea.

What I don't understand is why you're advocating that many developers
all go do the same thing, outside the structure of the debian project.
Sounds like a waste of time.

--
see shy jo