Re: Proposed directory structure for the installation "disks"

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

[...]
>     Ross> Aside from documentation, one might create an alternate route into
>     Ross> directory structure which was based on stage of installation as the
>     Ross> top level.  That would use links.

Didn't read the entire posting, but some remarks about links:

1) Windows doesn't recognize symlinks on the CDs, so should not be used for
   install-related files. (binary-i386 -> binary-all is okay because people
   won't see that at all.)
   This also means that the documentation should not refer to _any_ symlinked
   files/directories -- this includes /disks-*/current/ !

2) Hardlinks on CDs are supported on all OSes, but not for FTP mirroring, so
   should not be used at all in the main archive.
   At the moment, on CDs there is a <cd-root>/install/ dir with hardlinks to
   most files in disks-i386/; this is done by the CD creation scripts.

3) Without the proper documentation, 2/more paths to the same thing cause many
   problems for first-time users. They see two versions of the same thing, but
   "which one should I take??" This is especially weird if those versions
   differ at some points like the 2.1rX /install/ and disks-i386/.

Possible solution would be that the CD creation scripts hardlink /install to
whatever directory disks-*/current is pointing to. (Does it do already??)
But then the documentation (preferably top-level README, either in the CD root
or in /install/) should clearly mention the fact of the "replicated" directory
(CD-only feature, not on FTP).

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer