Re: squid config

Ragnar Gudmundsson <ragnar@this.is> writes:

> Hello,
>
> On the page
> http://cdimage.debian.org/ch211.html
>
> You say:
> An alternative to mirroring is to use a caching HTTP proxy.
> refresh_pattern   debian.org/.*\.deb$   129600 100% 129600
>
> But in my Squid config I use:
> refresh_pattern         .    0   1%   2   reload-into-ims

That pattern means:

 .

      match everything (whereas our pattern only affects debian
      packages fetched from our sites, and leaves all other squid
      behaviour intact).

 0 1% 2

      make everything in the cache ``stale'' after 2 minutes.  rather
      defeats the point of all that clever programming the squid folks
      did IMO

 reload-into-ims

     To quote the blurb in squid.conf:

   #     reload-into-ims changes client no-cache or ``reload'' to
   #     If-Modified-Since requests. Doing this VIOLATES the HTTP
   #     standard. Enabling this feature could make you liable for
   #     problems which it causes.

So on the whole I wouldn't want to recommend that to the public, but
it's up to you what you do on your server.

I'm actually surprised that you are getting much benefit from this
setup, unless you have some other patterns that set more sensible
settings, but maybe I'm missing something.

Cheers, Phil.