Re: Upgrading a slink r1 CD to a slink r4 CD

"J.A. Bezemer" <costar@panic.et.tudelft.nl> writes:

> > - Is it really possible to obtain a Slink release x (with x > 1) with
> >   iso images of Slink release 1, without downloading the whole new
> >   images ?
>
> Yes, BUT... there are so much changes that rsync will probably download over
> 100 MB per image. This is of course much less than a complete CD, but maybe
> more than you expected.
>
> If you want some more info, it's a good idea to read the README of the
> Pseudo-Image Kit, available from
>   http://panic.et.tudelft.nl/~costar/pseudo-image-kit

You could do a half & half approach, by finding the packages that are
new, and using the pseudo-image-kit approach to stick them all
together, then tack that onto the end of the image you have.

When you rsync the new image (which I hope to have sorted soon, sorry
about the delay) over the 2.1_r1+100MBchunk image it will find the
bits it needs and shuffle them into the right order (sneaky eh?)

This is a big win if you have a good local ftp mirror, and poor access
to a CD mirror.  It also gives you something to do while you wait for
me to get the images sorted out (i.e. downloading all the packages
that will make them up).

Cheers, Phil.