Re: [NEWS] status of boot-flopppies

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Massimo Dal Zotto wrote:

> > > I suggest also that the boot cd contains the Packages.cd of all the cd's so
> > > that one is not forced to swap the cd's. If one wants to make his own cd he
> > > has to make a new Packages.cd anyway, so why have don't have the sane full
> > > list in all the official cd's?
> >
> > And then how do you propose that the installation program detects which CDs
> > are actually available?  For, if you have a complete Packages.cd on the first
> > CD and you _don't_ have CDs 2, 3,... (Linux Expo etc!), you're going to run
> > into really serious problems.
>
> I am speaking of a complete official distribution. If you don't have some
> of the cd's this is obviously a problem, but in my opinion a multicd
> distribution should not be splitted. If you need a lite distribution you
> should burn a new cd with a different Packages.cd.

...and that CD should also be "Official" so this means more space on image
mirrors, etc. etc.

Maybe the other way around is more maintainable: Official CDs have _no_
Packages.cd files for other CDs, and if you really want a one-CD install, feel
free to do it yourself.

> > (Does apt-cdrom still need Packages.cd files? Doesn't it simply read the
> > "normal" Packages file and insert the Media: item itself?)
>
> I'm not sure but I believe that Packages.cd is needed only by dpkg. If I
> remember correctly apt-cdrom should use only the Packages files found in
> the various directories.

That's what I thought. And it makes this whole discussion senseless since
apt-cdrom will be the main (only?) install method used, and you _will_ have to
insert all CDs during the package scanning. Packages.cd file is used only by
dpkg-multicd, which is obsoleted by apt-cdrom.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer