Re: [NEWS] status of boot-flopppies

On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Massimo Dal Zotto wrote:

> I suggest also that the boot cd contains the Packages.cd of all the cd's so
> that one is not forced to swap the cd's. If one wants to make his own cd he
> has to make a new Packages.cd anyway, so why have don't have the sane full
> list in all the official cd's?

And then how do you propose that the installation program detects which CDs
are actually available?  For, if you have a complete Packages.cd on the first
CD and you _don't_ have CDs 2, 3,... (Linux Expo etc!), you're going to run
into really serious problems.

And don't forget people like me that are making their own Binary-3 CD with
non-free/US stuff. In the current situation (2.1r2) I don't have to modify
Binary-1 and 2 at all.

(Does apt-cdrom still need Packages.cd files? Doesn't it simply read the
"normal" Packages file and insert the Media: item itself?)

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer