Re: sunsite.org.uk - rsync access to cd-images

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Philip Hands wrote:

> > > It patches in-place.
>
> No it doesn't --- it creates a file ``.<filename>.<pid-based-divel>'' and then
> moves it in place when finished.
>
> You can tell it what to do about partial transfers using comand line options.
>
> You need enough room spare to have two copies of the largest file you're
> rsyncing.

Wouldn't be easier to build an image with YACS and then rsync that?  Or
have I missed something?

> Other than that, the ``cat all the files together'' approach is a great idea,
> and should work well.  It should work reasonably well even if you get the
> order wrong, since rsync can find out-of-order blocks and put them in the
> right place.
> If we could make all the files multiples of 2K, and tell rsync to use that as
> it's block size, it might turn out that the order makes little difference
> (apart from adding some processor overhead, maybe)
>
> Cheers, Phil.
>
> P.S.  open.hands.com (aka cdimage.d.o) was off the air since Sunday, because
> its CPU heatsink fan broke, and it crashed.  Should be OK again now.

open.hands (aka debian.uk.org) is working very nicely.  I am updating
potato at the moment.

Another matter.

I am on holiday next week and so I will be spending a few days playing
with YACS.  Would someone please fill me in as to where I start.

Phil (the other one).

-
Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Abbotsford, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818
I sell GNU/Linux CDs.   See http://www.copyleft.co.nz