Re: apt-cdrom - with yacs-0.3 generated disks

On 07-Aug-99 Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

<snip>
>> If you use apt-0.3.11.1 AND multiple CD/ROMS that were
>> created with yacs-0.3 ... apt will prompt you to change
>> disks durring the installation process. ... it aint pretty
>> but it works.
>
> How many disk swaps did you need to do? I've been trying to get that
> number down to about 2 or 3..

I did'nt count...but that seems about correct...Immagine it
depends upon selected packages...and what disk they are on.  I
will try it again later and pay more attention...

>> The process is to insert each CD, run 'apt-cdrom add', then:
>> unmount /cdrom, then:
>> run apt-cdrom add (for subsiquent disks), then:
>> unmount /cdrom
>> After ALL of your disks have been added to sources list, one
>> can use dselect.
>
> You know apt-cdrom unmounts the CD before it propmts you to insert a new
> one - the latest version also picks up Source index files (does YACS write
> those?)

Correct...but the poor user cannot EJECT the CD unless it is unmounted.
Thats why one has to manually unmount BEFORE using apt-cdrom on the next
CD. ;-(   Small thing, but perhaps it should unmount the CD after apt-cdrom
compleates its magic ??

> I've been meaning to put a loop in there, it will probably appear before
> we release.

Cool.  Actually I was EXTREMELY pleased that it worked!

---
Jim Westveer <jwest@netnw.com>
I get to work, flip the excuse page over:
"Someone is standing on the ethernet cable, causeing bad data"
Fair enough, looks like it's gointo be a good day.
E-Mail: Jim Westveer <jwest@netnw.com>
phone   425-392-0141
fax     425-557-0660                  Date: 06-Aug-99
URL     lcs.issaquah.wa.us            Time: 18:27:54
Key fingerprint = DC 49 E8 7E 76 DD 30 2D 8D F1 B4 D8 A3 60 4C 04