Re: Yacs-0.1 is here

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Steve McIntyre wrote:

>I may well do so shortly... :-)

*grin* It's nice to see from looking at your code that you've looked at
slink_cd/debian_cd.

I _really_ like the way you've worked out sizes for CDs. This is becoming
a major issue for us. If you don't mind, I may steal this idea for
debian_cd. :-)

As you're using apt to order packages for you, I presume that CD#1 is
going to be filled with required / base / standard / important packages
first, then you'll be filling in optional and extra packages. A strict
ordering is quite easy, as (I'd guess) the tree depth of Debian packages
isn't going to be very large. How do you decide between equal-priority
packages at a given depth? I'd guess alphabetically, but that isn't
clear. This was another big issue for slink_cd.

I see you're not doing anything about Packages files yet, but that's easy
to add later. Ditto with md5-checking.

Is there any particular reason to split up all the tasks/profiles in the
way you've done it? I think I can see a possible good reason, but I'm
curious to see yours.

I'm also surprised you've gone back to using make. I tried it but gave up
for my needs as a little too inflexible.

A couple of suggestions:

 It would be nice to have multiple allowed sizes for CDs: #1 needs lots of
 space for docs and boot images etc, as Chris said, while the other CDs
 can be filled much further.

 Is there a better way of doing ordering than by driving apt? It's an
 issue for me right now, as I can't test this. My machine at work
 containing the mirror is a stable hamm system that I can't readily
 install new packages on.

--
Steve McIntyre, Allstor Software         smcintyr@allstor-sw.co.uk
"Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky,