Re: Subtle changes to debian-cd

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, jim westveer wrote:

>> Possibly; the reason they went on CD 2 was space - they fit quite well.
>> Moving them to source means we're probably going to have to move to 3
>> source CDs now. But that's probably the case already.
>
>Yea, that was probably it.  I only moved them in the
>"potato/" section, when I was trying to make space on cd2(potato).
>As it turns out the second cd (potato) is still 740M or so.
>The addition of Gnome, and others has made the second cd quite fat.

Ah, OK...

>I was meaning to ask you about slink2.optional (or cd2.optional in
>potato).  I get the feeling that these are the files from binary-all
>and binary-i386 that did not fit on the first cd ??

Ish. It _used_ to list the Priority: optional packages that would not fit
on CD #1. Priority: extra packages also go on CD#2. But these days things
are done differently: optional packages that would be useful on CD #1 are
listed in "useful". Any remaining optional packages go on CD #2. (i.e.
slink2.optional shouldn't be around any more.) But this probably won't
work so well for potato, as it looks like we're going to need 3 binary
CDs.

>Of course all of this is speculation, as there is not a boot-disk
>set, and that will effect what has to go on the first disk.

Yup.

>On the positive side, with the changes to debian_cd because of the
>name change of the non-us override file names, and the small
>changes in boot-i386, I was able to make a bootable/installable
>potato disk #1. (well it did have 245 un-met dependencies;-(

Wow!

>MeThinks that I will set this aside for another month, and
>wait and see what changes....

Probably best. Now I'm back from Usenix and the major deadline headache at
work has passed I'll be able to dive in again shortly...

--
Steve McIntyre, stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk The Unix world's best mod player
"Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky,                 +------------------