Re: Slink release - what's left?

In message <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.95.990214171420.327F-100000@hammer.mossbank.org.uk> you wrote:
>On Sun, 14 Feb 1999, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
>>If you used cvs to manage your sources you could 'branch' for slink
>>maintenance but still continue to do potato work on the 'trunk'.
>
>I could do, but it would be a pain trying to keep it in sync at the
>various places I work on it. I know CVS has its uses (I uses it daily at
>work), but I don't think it really covers this.

Well, you do know that CVS client/server can be used simultaneously at
manual locations.

>What I'll probably do is
>branch and change name. potato_cd will almost definitely need changes from
>slink_cd, so I'll probably change the name too.

That's fine too.  Branches should be avoided when necessary.  As you
probably know, CVS is just software; release management and code management
stuff is all over and beyond the scope of CVS itself.

So, yeah, whatever system makes it easier for you.  I've used cases where
we start a new module for a major rewrite, and cases where we branch
the source.