DVD distribution?

I want to buy a CD-ROM drive for my computer, and one of the question
I ask myself is should I buy a plain drive, or a DVD one.

I did read that DVD movie are unlikely to be ever playable on Linux
because of patents encoding problems, but I would expect Debian
distribution to soon use DVD since we are already using 4 CDs, and
the number of packages tend to double quite fastly.

But I don't ever knows if there is writable DVD drive out-there.
Does it seems likely that there will be DVD distrubution of Debian
soon?

--Paul