Re: CD images?

On 20 Sep 1999, Philip Hands wrote:

>   http://panic.et.tudelft.nl/~costar/pseudo-image-kit/pseudo-image-kit-1.0.tgz
>
> which will allow you to rsync an image, without downloading all the
> packages again.  Grab the packages lists from the same directories as
> the CD images (with *.list filenames), then use the pseudo-image kit
> to build images that you can rsync over to finally get the images.

is this considered best for bootstrapping images, or should we do this
for all cdimage mirrors ?  i'm a bit hesitant to use the software that
people have been discussing (YACS?) etc, to build iso images from the
debian dist here - i have no idea if it even runs on Solaris.

> BTW you can expect CD downloads to consume all the bandwidth you have
> (open.hands.com is running at about 4Mb/s, which given that that's
> through a cheap ne2000 clone is pretty much theoretical max.)

i Rgree.  the debian cds are one of the most popular downloads here
in australia.  the problem is compounded since we now carry cd images
from various different distros (debian, redhat, mandrake, freebsd, mklinux,
etc..) and many people prefer to get these instead of the traditional
floppy/install from net.

-jason

 jason andrade       dstc pty ltd               jason@dstc.edu.au
 senior sysadmin     level 7, GPS Building 78   i just wanna be
 phn +61-7-33654307  university of queensland   bluemisty
 fax +61-7-33654311  queensland 4072 australia  and barefooted