Re: Incremental CD set

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Stefan Karrmann wrote:

>Is there a method to extend a given CD set incremental?
>
>E.g. I've the 4 CD set of Debian GNU/Linux 2.1 (slink) and one
>additional CD. Now, I want to get the actual potato packages for i386
>and hurd. As there are a lot of symlinks from potato to slink, I only
>need the new packages not a complete potato CD set. If I provide the
>Packages.cd files of the last CD (CD5 or CD2) and the new Packages files it
>is possible to choose the packages for the next CDs. Their Packages.cd
>files can be created then, too.
>
>Any ideas for such a method?

It should be possible, yes. If I understand you correctly, you're
suggesting making a few more CDs with the new potato packages on, with
back references to the older CDs for packages that have not changed. Hmmm.

What you'll need to do is extract the list of packages and their versions
from the old Packages.cd files from slink5. Get the equivalent list from
potato and diff the two lists. For the new files, run dpkg-scanpackages -m
as normal to create new Packages.cd files referencing only those new
files. Then simply cat the old and new Packages.cd files together before
you write the new CDs.

Let me know how you get on :-)

--
Steve McIntyre, Allstor Software         smcintyr@allstor-sw.co.uk
"Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky,