Re: Installation of 990305 set (Re: alpha installation disks)

Still some more work for the ftpmasters,

1)
Could you update: disks-alpha/current  from
~lprylli/public_html/axp/bf990305.

I have added the current documentation, a md5sum.txt file and
be careful the base-[1-8].bin and base2_1.tgz files have CHANGED.

All the other existing files are the same, that's why it may be better
not to create a complete new directory.

2)
I send a mail recently about the current nis alpha package which is unstable, I
have uploaded into incoming a nis compiled from hamm source, which
ended in REJECT because of older version. Is it possible
to install it manually? (it is signed now)

That way the archive will be in sync with the CD that are
currently being generated on cdimage.debian.org. I have tried
a CD generated locally and it rocks!!! Debian/Alpha looks in good
shape for release (except the doc is dispersed, and except testing
has not been done on all subarchs).

Regards,

Loic

Background to explain motivation for the changes:

1)
For the change of the base2_1.tgz files:
It appeared that the master file that have been used for profiles and
tasks on the Alpha root disks was a bit obsolete. In particular X11
packages were not selected as appropriate for some profiles, leading
to incomplete selection at installation. The user had to resolve
the conflict/dependency problems manually after selecting a profile.
I have tested two different install with the new base files.

2)
About the nis package:
 I know the binary compiled from hamm source is rock solid, I am
running it on several productions machines for some months, on an
other machine where I have tried to run the current nis, it has never
lasted more than a few days before segfaulting. I have try to upload
new recompiled package that seems more stable, but finally even the
last nis_3.3.1-1axp3.deb is not stable.