Re: Debian slink CD images

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Steve McIntyre wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Gerhard Poul wrote:
>
> >> ??? I must have missed that bit, maybe when I was away from my computer
> >> for a couple of weeks last month. What did they take issue with?
> >
> >they said that they already have some documents but they don't want to
> >implement my standard and they don't have the time to apply the
> >modifications they want to my standard.
>
> <sigh> Do they have any of their own design docs up on the web anywhere?

Actually I said that this standard does not solve any problems. I don't
know if you've read it, but all it describes is a 'CD Package File Index'
(contents)  which is supposed to solve the non-problem of locating Package
files and the other non-problem of identifying which CD is in the drive.

The standard did not specify how to split the distribution and it did not
specify how the CDs should look. These are problems that need solving.

APT needs nothing more than N sets of properly formed Debian distributions
on each CD, that is there should be a package file in the 'regular'
location on each disc with .debs and it should index only the files on
that disk. That's it.

Oh, I also followed Joey's lead, if .disk/info exists it is assumed to be
the CD name, but it is not required.

Jason