Re: jigdo 0.6.7(solaris8)/woody template: this is not a template

Hello Dieter,

sorry for all the trouble you're having with jigdo-file!

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 11:55:47AM +0200, Heine, Dieter wrote:
> since debian-cd also is the official jigdo list I'd like to ask if
> following break of jigdo-file (0.6.7) compiled under my solaris
> 8/sparc may be known with other platforms:

I have access to Solaris machines running SunOS 5.8 (Sun Ultra II).
jigdo didn't work until version 0.6.6 - beginning with version 0.6.7,
I thought I had managed to get it to work. It certainly works for
me... :-/

> My own port of jigdo-file with libdb3 from the solaris companion CD
> with free software started fine as long as I compile without GUI
> (gcc 2.95.2).

So far I have only tried compiling --without-libdb --without-gui.

> Since alle templates and jigdo files show the same release (0.6.7) I
> cannot believe that the woody templates are incompatible.

ISTR I originally had the problem of unrecognized templates as well
here, but ever since the admins upgraded to gcc 3.0, it seems to have
vanished.

> Does this error appear sometimes on other platforms ?

Not to my knowledge.

> Are changes with the templates and headers known (mailinglist does
> not show solaris/sparc ports) ? If incompatibility is not the reason
> the error may depend on errors during the port ? Is there a chance
> to get a working port of jigdo-file on solaris ?

I've just uploaded a static Solaris binary to my homepage as
<http://atterer.net/jigdo/jigdo-bin-0.6.7-solaris.tar.bz2> I'm
downloading the woody pre10 i386 1-nonus CD ATM, and it seems to work
fine so far.

> P.S: I ported already jigdo-port to solaris. And it may work with
> all templates or it may not. But jigdo-easy stopped every woody
> download after hours of downloads with the hint that files are
> missing. After many other tries of different images with different
> ftp-sites failed over and over I gave up using jigdo-port. Also
> hours of download files vanished and there was no file-cache.

- the downloaded files are not gone, see bottom of
  <http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/> on how to recover them.
- the problem with jigdo-easy is known, but won't be fixed because it
  is currently unmaintained. I've posted the solution to continuing
  the download before: Specify the backup server to get the few
  missing files - for the 2.2r6 release it is:

Debian:  http://cdimage.debian.org/2.2r6-snapshot/
Non-US:  http://cdimage.debian.org/2.2r6-snapshot/non-US/

(In general, do a "zgrep -E '^(Debian|Non-US)=' foo.jigdo" to find it
out for any jigdo file.)

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 01:31:06PM +0200, Heine, Dieter wrote:
> The md5sum call of jigdo-file e.g. for the template file doesnot
> work under Solaris 8 :-(( .

That's a distinct problem from the one above, and I definitely thought
it fixed as of jigdo 0.6.7! "It works for me!" :-( The md5sum problem
affected all big-endian platforms.

Cheers,

  Richard

--