Re: list2cd rewrite

On Nov 18, Richard Atterer wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 02:26:54PM -0600, Chris Lawrence wrote:
> > Also, if anyone's interested I probably can find the disk space to
> > serve woody network install MiniCD images (185MB)
>
> Why are they so big? I thought a potato net install CD is about 35M,
> and a woody one much less because even the base system is downloaded
> as udebs?

The MiniCD format (3 inch/8 cm CDs) has a capacity of 185MB, so I
stuffed it full, so it will work to install a usable subset of Debian
without a network connection; it might be particularly good for people
on slow pipes, who will be able to get the core installed and then use
the network for a few other things.  However, if you don't want any
debs at all on the CD image, not even the base system, you can
definitely get it down below 50MB, probably much less... but I haven't
bothered handling this case yet.

> > It'd be nice if we could put together official images like this for
> > the network install crowd.
>
> Definitely! Would it be possible in the future to create net install
> CDs automatically whenever a regular Debian CD release is done?

I can't see why not.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <cnlawren@olemiss.edu> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/

Instructor and Ph.D. Candidate, Political Science, Univ. of Mississippi
208 Deupree Hall - 662-915-5765