Re: Debian Buster release to partially drop non-systemd support

On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 10:17:11PM +0200, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

> > > Why would sysvinit need uploads? It’s largely working software
> > > that needs few changes.
> >
> > That may be, but there are many open bugs with patches that have not
> > been applied or answered.  One of them was even RC and unanswered for
> > over 18 months.  (I downgraded it as it isn't really RC.)
>
> OK, that’s a good point.

Please note that sysvinit dependencies still have open RC bugs which
noone is caring for.

Please also note that even if you don't consider things like
systemd-shim to be essential for a sysvinit system, I think sysvinit is
getting closer and closer to being removed. Usually the debian way is to
say that whoever reaps the benefits gets to do the work. That hasn't
been the case for sysvinit for atleast several years now. The only
reason sysvinit is still around is because people who don't use it and
largely don't care about it keeps doing the work to keep it afloat
(while people who use it keep repeating "everyhing is fine, it's
mature" and stick their heads in the sand).

Multiple people have explained multiple different ways we could simply
kick sysvinit out of the key packages set. That would mean a pretty
imminent removal. So please! Don't wait until you one day wake up to
that reality! By then it'll be to late to realize everything is actually
NOT fine. Your complaints will go to deaf ears, because it's been a long
time coming already.

I would love to see someone with time and motivation to properly
give sysvinit the maintenance it deserves, but at the same time if we
stay at the current status quo I think it's better if sysvinit just gets
removed the sooner the better.

Regards,
Andreas Henriksson