Re: About the userland API for ACL, xattr, extattr

Hi!

Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Now i am exploring again ACL, xattr or extattr.
> It seems that none of them is really implemented on above system.
> Do i get this right ?
> Is it worth to upgrade to Sid in order to become tester of better
> implementations ?

I'm not even familiar with ACLs, so you probably know more about this
than me!  I don't think there is anything new here in jessie or sid, so
it still needs to be done.  Here's a quick look at what is needed:

| POSIX 1003.1e FUNCTIONS BY AVAILABILITY
| The first group of functions is supported on most systems with
| POSIX-like access control lists, while the second group is supported on
| fewer systems. For applications that will be ported the second group is
| best avoided.
|
| acl_delete_def_file(3), acl_dup(3), acl_free(3), acl_from_text(3),
| acl_get_fd(3), acl_get_file(3), acl_init(3), acl_set_fd(3),
| acl_set_file(3), acl_to_text(3), acl_valid(3)

That seems like the minimal set of functionality we'd want to support.
I think we should aim to implement this cross-platform interface rather
than the FreeBSD-specific one for example.

Some of those are system calls already listed at :
http://sources.debian.net/src/glibc/2.21-1/sysdeps/unix/bsd/bsd4.4/kfreebsd/syscalls.list/?hl=11#L11
but I don't know if they're fully 'wired-up' to be used yet.

The others functions might be available already as library functions in
libacl.

> libisofs ./configure tests see the libacl API installed
>   checking sys/acl.h usability... yes
>   checking sys/acl.h presence... yes
>   checking for sys/acl.h... yes
>   checking for acl_to_text in -lacl... yes
> but when i try to use it to set some ACL, i get errno ENOSYS
> "Function not implemented".

What is a testcase or an example of usage that returns ENOSYS?

Thanks,
Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org