Re: Upgrading Debian kFreeBSD from Wheezy to Jessie

Jesse Smith wrote:
> Sorry, I should have mentioned before I'm running Debian/kFreeBSD in a
> FreeBSD jail environment. That is why my mounted file systems and fstab
> are so bare, most of the environment is set up by the host OS.

Aha :)  Some manual setup is expected before starting/entering the jail:

    # Linux-like /proc and /sys filesystems
    mount -t linprocfs linprocfs $JAIL_ROOT/proc
    mount -t linsysfs linsysfs $JAIL_ROOT/sys

    # Ramdisk required for /run
    mount -t tmpfs tmpfs $JAIL_ROOT/run

    # A read-only /dev filesystem with restricted set of devices
    mount -t devfs devfs $JAIL_ROOT/dev

    # Compatibility symlink from /dev/shm to /run/shm
    ln -s /run/shm $JAIL_ROOT/dev/

I'm not sure if 'shutdown' is really expected to work yet in jails;
this is still quite experimental.

An alternative is to manually execute inside the jail:

    /etc/init.d/rc 0
    exec kill -1

Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org