Re: RFC: Debian GNU/kFreeBSD and Jessie

Robert Millan <rmh@debian.org> (2014-01-31):
> -release asked us to discuss a possible solution among ourselves so we can
> propose it to them. But the problem is not clearly defined yet. So I thought
> maybe we can do some progress by discussing what the problem is.
>
> Here's what I think of as a problems that may need to be fixed by reaching
> an agreement with -release:
>
> 1. Some application-level software is growing hard dependencies on SystemD
> or other Linux-specific components (e.g. X->udev, gdm3->systemd).

X->udev is utterly wrong. HAL isn't maintained, true. But I proposed a
plan to migrate away from HAL to another system allowing for hotplug[1],
and nobody picked it up. That doesn't mean that X is moving to udev-only.

 1. https://lists.debian.org/20110213124019.GH7840@debian.org
    https://lists.debian.org/debian-bsd/2011/02/msg00173.html
    [ Yes, that was 3 (three) years ago. ]

Mraw,