Kernel packages in the installer

Hi folks,

I have been talking with Christoph on IRC about the kernel installation
story. Right now there are several kernel packages in the archive. The
installer currently installs kfreebsd-image-$KERNEL_MAJOR-$ARCH
(http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/d-i/base-installer.git/tree/kernel/kfreebsd-amd64.sh),
which is e.g. kfreebsd-image-10-amd64 currently with testing. But there
are also the kfreebsd-image-{amd64, 686, 486} packages, which just
depend on the respective major version image package.

It seems possible for the future to make distribution updates easier, if
the installer does not install a major version image packet directly,
but if it installs the meta packet only and via dependency the current
major version image packet is pulled. That obviously does not help with
current installations, but it would prevent a similar problem in the future.

So I propose to change the Debian installer to install the version
agnostic (wonderful word, thanks Christoph) meta-package and let the
dependency resolution pull in the correct kernel image. How is the
general feeling about this?
--
Best regards,
Jan