Re: (Almost) Time for Jessie Beta 2?

[ Dropping -cd@, not a topic for them. ]

Steven Chamberlain <steven@pyro.eu.org> (2014-09-10):
> Sounds good;  it feels like a good time for a new release.  (Perhaps
> biased;  I'm keen for the kfreebsd d-i Beta 1 images to go away so
> that people are only testing new ones. that work.)

Thanks for confirming.

> We'd be ready for kfreebsd 10.1 to go into unstable, but won't do this
> unless there's an ACK/NAK from release team in #760114, and also
> working around the schedule of any upcoming d-i release.
>
> If this did go ahead, only the version and ABI number need updating in
> debian-installer;  I've been doing all of my d-i testing with kfreebsd
> 10.1 udebs and I think it is absolutely ready.  (Preferred, in fact,
> because it fixes known issues like #755739).

Yeah, that would have been my guess (as far as the amount of changes is
concerned).

> > If you have possibly disruptive patches/updates pending, it would be
> > nice to either communicate on the topic, or delay these until after
> > the release. (Of course, if you're able to introduce them, and fix
> > any issues before linux is ready, I'm fine with it.)
>
> I'd like to revert some of the problematic ZFS-on-Linux changes from
> partman-zfs (a kfreebsd-specific udeb), to restore the original
> behaviour we had in wheezy.  I'll try to get this done in plenty of
> time for Beta 2.

I'm not sure I'm parsing you properly. Are you saying I should be
waiting for these changes for Beta 2? (I think so given the next
paragraph of yours.)

In which case, clock's ticking. I don't see too many RC bugs open
against src:linux right now, and it seems the arm* failure is already
fixed in svn; so linux might be ready “soon”.

Of course, I can shift an upload by a few days to make room for more
newer components, just mentioning the release is approaching. :)

> > [ I'm adding -bsd@ to the loop explicitly since there was quite some
> > work lately (thanks to Steven who stepped up and quickly sent a fair
> > number of patches), and I'd rather avoid forgetting/not knowing about
> > some extra patches. ]
>
> Thanks :)  All patches for the kfreebsd d-i Beta 2 errata got uploaded.
>  There is only the #757986 "inappropriate ioctl for device" prompt, that
> we could try to fix before Beta 2 *if* there is time after the above.

Mraw,
KiBi.