Re: slow porterbox

On 04/09/14 06:39, Christoph Egger wrote:
> falla / fischer are on a host that is quite bad on IO [...]

We could also be causing more I/O than necessary by not having soft
updates enabled.  (Upstream enables it for all except the root file
system, I think it is quite safe to do this with a 9.0 kernel).

If someone wanted to try it on the porter boxes, the /home partition or
wherever chroots are, would first need to be unmounted, and do
`tunefs.ufs -j enable` on it.  (There ought to be some way to benchmark
it, like the time taken to build some package).

It should get better anyway in the next release, because the wheezy 9.0
kernel by default, didn't enable PV support for Xen/KVM block devices,
they will be fully emulated currently.  kFreeBSD 10 enables that and
also had work on the geom layer to reduce the CPU overhead of I/O
operations.

Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org