Re: Bits from the Release Team: Architecture health check

Robert Millan <rmh@debian.org> writes:
> On 29/01/2014 23:24, Steven Chamberlain wrote:

>> If some packages (potentially the whole GNOME desktop environment) get
>> a hard systemd dependency that would somewhat reduce the scope of the
>> port for us I think.

> From what I can see in previous TC discussion, it seems that the plan
> is for sysvinit support to remain mandatory (but deprecated) for one
> more release cycle.

Per Josselin's latest discussion of this, there doesn't appear to be any
direct GNOME dependencies on systemd itself that would be blocking for
jessie.  The problem, rather, is with logind (and to a lesser extent the
other services, which I believe are more inherently portable), since the
ConsoleKit fallback is apparently in pretty bad shape.

Various folks, particularly Steve and Colin, feel like getting logind and
friends working with sysvinit won't be a huge problem.  If that's the
case, GNOME on kFreeBSD may not be any worse off than it is now (and
possibly quite a bit better, since it would remove the ConsoleKit path,
which is currently buggy), provided that such a systemd-independent logind
can run on kFreeBSD.  This piece of software/packaging does not actually
exist yet, though, and people's time/motivation to work on it may be
affected by the outcome of the larger decision.