Re: Latest updates render Debian GNU/kfreebsd unusable

(please include debian-bsd in your replies)

On 20/12/2013 12:32, Thomas Schweikle wrote:
> Meanwhile I found that an other package is the source. This one isn't
> the source of rendering the system unbootable, but of some problems
> with an new installed grub.
> Not sure why, but if grub is installed before installing this package
> it generates a wrong grub.cfg. If it is installed last and then again
> doing an update-grub will generate a correct grub config.
> I did not have the time to find out which combination of packages to
> install before ufsutils upgrade doesn't break grub, but at least
> installing it last kept update-grub working.
>
> The package involved is freebsd-utils. It installs a new udev rule
> breaking the whole system. Only some devices are created with this
> rule missing all /dev/da*. In tune none of the necessary file systems
> are mounted other than root. Since it is impossible to login I wasn't
> able to find out what the problem is with this package -- but not
> installing it leaves the system alive and working after rebooting.

freebsd-utils installs devfs rules (they're similar to udev rules but
not the same thing) but there haven't been any significant changes to
the ruleset recently. What makes you think the problem is related to that?