screen blanks after loading radeonkms (or i915kms)

On 03/12/2013 00:07, Steven Chamberlain wrote:
> Had to `kldload radeonkms` myself - that blanks the screen - so have to run
> `startx` without looking.

What do you think we should do about this?

For radeon, we can disable modesetting in the kernel. Then when
userland loads radeonkms, we'd still have something better than
the vesa driver without the VT switching problem. If user wants
modesetting, it can be enabled via "modeset" flag.

Or if we find that we can't make radeonkms behave properly, we
could remove it altogether. Then userland would fallback to vesa.

Or we could just leave it be, and assume that if user has started
X (and X succeeds) they probably don't care that much if their VT
became unusable. After all they can always reboot in single mode
if they need a console shell.

We could also try making it play nice with VTs. Maybe enabling
newcons helps. Also, there's some disabled WIP code in radeonkms
which is aimed at this purpose (I haven't tested it).

As for intel, it's not even clear which module should be preferred
by userland. Should xf86-video-intel load i915.ko or i915kms.ko?

Unfortunately we need to pick one or the other. On FreeBSD ports
they have these NEW_XORG flags which trigger the selection at build
time, but we can't have that :-(