Re: radeonkms kernel module are not loaded automatically

On 11:22, Robert Millan wrote:
> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati/files/extra-src__radeon_kms.c?revision=328711&view=markup
>
> Do you have any devices with these names? It's strange it worked for you without this patch.

I had that patch applied too.  Without it, I get a slow but working
multi-monitor desktop, still using the radeon driver somehow.

With Konstantin's original patch:
* radeon KMS support was never detected or usable
* falls back successfully to vesa driver

With the "return 0" hack in libdrm2 I get either:
* unaccelerated Xorg, with the Xorg radeon driver 7.2.0-1
* accelerated Xorg, if also using the patch above
* errors out if radeonkms is not loaded (or perhaps if no microcode
 blob available, or an unsupported card?)

This is probably why Konstantin's sysctl checks are a good idea, and
the radeonkms module should try to implement them.  Otherwise, there's
no proper fallback.,

Maybe the "return 0" hack is pointless in Debian because the free
packages don't have the required microcode blob anyway.  If someone
wants to try it yet, they'll have to obtain those _and_ replace
libdrm2.  I'm not sure yet if the Xorg radeon driver patch breaks
anything.

Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org