Re: ufsutils experiment (please comment/test)

Hi!

On Mon, 2013-09-02 at 20:46:54 +0000, Robert Millan wrote:
> I made a little experiment to simplify ufsutils and make it easier to
> update. By merging ufsutils into freebsd-utils package and using its
> build environment, with recent freebsd-glue (0.1.4) it is now possible
> to build ufsutils directly from pristine upstream source:
>
> http://people.debian.org/~rmh/kfreebsd-gnu/ufsutils/

> - Drops GNU/Linux support [1]

> [1] I would argue that this is less of an issue these days, as UFS
> support has been dropped from Linux since version 3.10.1-1. TBH I don't
> see the point in doing an extra effort to support the userland bits when
> Linux itself doesn't.

I'd also prefer to keep it separate. And I'd also keep non-kFreeBSD
support, because even if the other kernels do not support UFS, you can
use the tools to do some setup or recovery operations, which seem
pretty handy to me (fsck, mkfs, etc).

I'll look into updating to latest upstream preserving the current
support, hopefully in the coming days, been a bit busy lately, sorry!

Thanks,
Guillem