Re: Re: grub on ZRaid2

Hi,

on Mon, 21 Oct 2013 00:18:13 +0200, Robert Millan wrote:

> Did you create this pool yourself?

No, partman-base did while expert installation.
But I did a ZFS stripe installation prior, so the partitions were
"physical volume for ZFS".

/dev/ada0 - 2.0 TB Generic IDE
     #1  primary  2.0 TB    K  zfs
/dev/ada1 - 2.0 TB Generic IDE
     #1  primary  2.0 TB    K  zfs
/dev/ada2 - 2.0 TB Generic IDE
     #1  primary  2.0 TB    K  zfs
/dev/ada3 - 2.0 TB Generic IDE
     #1  primary  2.0 TB    K  zfs

> Debian installer always creates zpools within MSDOS partitions, in order
> to leave room for embedding. If you created a full-disk pool, GRUB
> doesn't support this setup AFAIK.

My new try... Deleting the partition tables of the 4 discs.

/dev/ada0 - 2.0 TB Generic IDE
       pri/log  2.0 TB      FREE SPACE
/dev/ada1 - 2.0 TB Generic IDE
       pri/log  2.0 TB      FREE SPACE
/dev/ada2 - 2.0 TB Generic IDE
       pri/log  2.0 TB      FREE SPACE
/dev/ada3 - 2.0 TB Generic IDE
       pri/log  2.0 TB      FREE SPACE

After selecting <Configure ZFS>, <Create ZFS pool>, name: "tank" and
selecting the 4 devices for the new ZFS pool, partman-base created a ZFS
stripe:

 NAME   USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
 tank   106K  7.14T    31K  none

There was no chance to select "Striped, Mirror, RAID-Z"!

If I delete the ZFS pool and re-created it without changing the
partitions, I'm able to select "RAID-Z" with parity level 2:

 NAME   USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
 tank   139K  3.55T  44.8K  none

But this will fail grub-installer.

What is a MSDOS partition