Re: sdt.h conflict with kfreebsd-kernel-headers and systemtap-sdt-dev

On 15/10/2013 14:48, Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> Robert Millan <rmh@debian.org> writes:
>> You can't conflict with kfreebsd-kernel-headers, it's a Build-Essential
>> package!
>>
>> I'm not familiar with SystemTap. For what I can see, it looks like a
>> very Linux-specific package. Is there any point in providing it for
>> kfreebsd-*?
>
> see the following part in Samuel's original bug report:
>
>  "Until now, I've been reluctant to suggest this because
>  systemtap-sdt-dev wasn't available on all arches, so it would be
>  necessary to add it as a build-dependency for only some arches, which
>  would involve hard-coding the list of arches systemtap builds on in the
>  control files for those packages.  (This also prevents use on kfreebsd,
>  hurd, or any arch that might be supported in GDB before it is supported
>  in systemtap.)"
>
>  -- http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=726248

I'm sorry, but I just can't see how this could fly. If systemtap-sdt-dev
is not meant unusable on non-Linux architectures, and you provide it in
them, you have to be able to deal with the fact that this package will
fail on them.

I don't think it does any serious harm to kfreebsd-* ports that
systemtap-sdt-dev is available despite that it is unusable. However if
this is inconvenient for other reasons, we really can't help you about
it. This package shouldn't be provided for kfreebsd-* in first place.